Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A change is gonna come

... or perhaps it's already been made.

I've always thought of myself as the shy and quiet type.
Entering university, I realized that wasn't really the case. I loved meeting new people and I've become a lot more talkative with new acquaintances, something would would usually take quite a while. I guess I've accepted my personality for what it is and have that idea of "I am what I am."
God, even taking italian was a random and spontaneous action for me.
I mean, I'm going on a tour of Europe in May alone!
I won't know anyone at all but, strangely, I'm really not worried about that. A few years ago... maybe even one... there would've been absolutely no way I would've done that. But I did & because of that, I have the opportunity of going on a non-stop adventure.
Plus there's this idea of being an au pair. A step even farther than just going on a tour alone.
I think I've really just decided to do things that may have formerly been out of my comfort zone. I want to have great experiences and adventures.
So here we come to a very big and significant change. I think it's pretty obvious that I absolutely love to bake. One of my ultimate dreams is to own my own little bakery. Right now, I'm taking history in university. I've known for a while that this whole university thing was not what I wanted to do... after my first semester I've just been unhappy. My moms response is always "you were the one who wanted to go to university." Really, I did it to make my parents happy. In all honesty, writing papers and being made to take courses I don't want to take just because they're the only ones available just isn't doing it for me. So tonight I brought up going to pastry school. I've brought it up before but wasn't taken seriously. This time around though, I think my dad is considering it. I think he notices that I'm not happy where I am now. My mom pulled that same response again and said "what are you going to be able to do with that?" Classic parent response, isn't it? Like I'd be able to do oh so much with a degree in history... at least there's nothing I'd WANT to do. I told her it hurts that she didn't take this seriously. She knows that I don't like being in university and, as much as I think this may disappoint her, I'd rather spend my life doing something I love. Will it be easy? No. Will I be rolling in the dough? No... well, literally I guess I would be. LOL. But will it be worth it in the long run? I'd like to think so. I've already looked into it and found a program at VCC, so...

Why not do something I love?

No comments:

Post a Comment